UnityNinja Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UnityNinja CommunityLog in

UnityNinja - Video Game Development Community, including Resources, Forums, Marketplace & More.

descriptionTrouble determining terrain height in editor... EmptyTrouble determining terrain height in editor...

more_horiz
Hi UN,

I have run into a problem while terraforming. I am trying to create very elaborate, detailed paths and roadways connecting terrain of vastly different heights. I can set the level tool and have no trouble creating flat planes, but when I try to create a curving pathway say around a mountain side or hill, I cannot do this with any degree of usefulness.

Is there are way in the editor to tell the exact height of the terrain you are working on?

Thank you.

descriptionTrouble determining terrain height in editor... EmptyRe: Trouble determining terrain height in editor...

more_horiz
I have figured out a work-around. By placing my third-person camera avatar at the point on which I am working I can determine the exact height. This is slow and tedious, but better than nothing.

descriptionTrouble determining terrain height in editor... EmptyRe: Trouble determining terrain height in editor...

more_horiz
Terrain height is based off of Black vs White and what's in between..

best option i seen is to export to Photoshop or something of that calibre and then look at the shading around your roads etc... as from going from lets say 10f to 100f on the height smoothly.. (angled road) i think the best practice is to have both and maybe try to Smooth the edge from a-b that should give a realistic grade...

let us know when you find a for sure method or plug-in... 
I will do the same..

hpdestro
"Education is Power"
"Do'ers need only Apply"

more_horiz
Thank you. Smile

I am getting pretty good at it, but I need to do it on the fly while building. At some point I probably should look into editing in Photoshop, but right now we are so close to opening I need to stick to what I know.

My method works, and is getting much easier with practice.

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
power_settings_newLogin to reply